Wash before use
- Minimum 3-5 times depending on material.
- You can wash the nappy shell once but the inserts will have to be washed multiple times to build absorbency.
- Build absorbency? The fibres in the inserts naturally repels water/liquid therefore each wash will reduce the natural oils in the fibres and will absorb more after each wash. Some inserts can take up to 10 washes to build up to full absorbency eg hemp, so its important to keep that in mind when your starting off.
- When in use, each wash is helping to build absorbency.
Varies among everyone.
- We recommend washing every 2-3 days and storing your used nappy in a dry pail - bucket or wet bag.
- Prewash your nappies first at max 40 degrees and if you can adjust the revs, max 1000.
- Then put your nappies on a 40-60 degree cotton wash. 40 is sufficient but you may feel from time to time you need a deeper clean. The cotton wash typical lasts any where between 2-4 hours. Its important that its not the eco wash as this uses less water and will not clean your nappies properly. Again max 1000 revs.
- If you do not have enough nappies to fill the load you can add baby clothes, towels into the main cotton wash also to bulk up the wash.
- We recommend Bio powder. You can clean your nappies effectively at 40 degree cotton wash.
- Do not use liquid or softener as they can coat the fibres in the inserts and reduce the absorbency.
- For sensitive skin, non bio powder can be used but possibly most effective at 60 degree cotton. You can add in Bio D nappy sanitiser for 40 degrees to help clean more effectively.
- Note that this is based on 2-3 day wash routine with pre-washing.
Drying of Nappies
- Do not dry directly on the radiator.
- Clothes line or clothes horse recommended.
- Tip - socktopus very useful in drying the inserts and saves on space.
- You can tumble dry your nappies on low but obviously this is not the preferred option for environmental reasons and alway check the manufacturers care instructions.
- Every month put your machine on the highest setting and give the departments and trays a wipe clean, along with removing and cleaning the water filter.